Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
The Lasky Law Firm Motto
Effective January 29, 2024, all persons who have or call a cell phone or telephone number, (including our office number), in area code 904, must dial all ten digits when placing a call, i.e., the area code plus the number, including calls within the same area code. We recommend everyone begin the new dialing practice now to ensure success when calling the office. Thank you.

Jacksonville Child Relocation Lawyer

If you are a custodial parent in Florida and you are considering a move of more than fifty miles from your current address, you may need to obtain legal advice regarding your move. In 2006, the Florida Legislature acted to clarify and refine the procedures regarding a parent’s plans for relocation. While it remains to be seen whether the new system helps to avoid and resolve the problems when a long distance move is in the works for a divorced parent, there is no question that the new parental relocation rules have drastically changed the way these questions are handled in Florida.

If you need advice about your rights and responsibilities concerning your own intention to move your child in common with a divorced parent, or if you have received formal notice of your ex-spouse’s intention to move your child a distance of more than 50 miles, contact a Jacksonville child relocation lawyer at the Lasky Law Firm. Because we concentrate our practice on family law, we stay current with all the legislative developments that can directly or indirectly affect your interests as a parent.

A quick summary of the new parent relocation law is as follows: In most cases, if a custodial parent desires to move a child to a new residence 50 miles or more away, the moving parent may need to obtain permission from the non-custodial parent or the family court. The moving parent must serve and file a Notice of Intent to Relocate, with details of the new address and phone number, the reasons for the proposed relocation, and a proposal for accommodating the other parent’s access, visitation, or time-sharing rights. The other parent then has 30 days in which to file an objection to the move or any aspect of the proposal. During this 30-day period, the parents might enter into a written agreement documenting approval of the parental relocation, describing the new custody and visitation arrangements, and defining the division of financial responsibilities for the travel expenses involved with periodic visits. If the non-custodial parent objects, a hearing will be conducted.

Contact Our Experienced Jacksonville Child Relocation Lawyers Today

For additional information about the new Florida approach to the parental relocation of children in the aftermath of divorce, or if you need specific advice about a proposed move, contact Jacksonville family law attorney Cindy Lasky.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

We Offer Affordable Consultation Rates And Flexible Appointments. Call 904-399-1644 Or Email Us Today To Schedule Your Consultation.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation